Welcome to Carlybird's Home, my Christian book review blog!

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Love's Sweet Beginning by Ann Shorey


About the book:

What will it take for a once-privileged young woman to make her way in the world?

It isn't Cassie Haddon's fault that she has reached the age of twenty-five without possessing any useful skills. Until the War Between the States, she always had servants. Since then, she and her mother have been forced to rely on family to care for them. But now the well of human kindness has run dry--and Cassie must find work to support them.

Unfortunately, leaving the past behind is easier said than done, and Cassie must summon all of her courage and wits to convince local restaurateur and grocer Jacob West that she's exactly what his business needs.

With her signature sweet romance, Ann Shorey weaves a tale of two people from different backgrounds finding common ground and the hope of a bright future together.



My review of Love's Sweet Beginning:

Ann Shorey is on my list of authors that I never miss.  Some of her books are simple romances and others are more complex stories with deep messages.  Love’s Sweet Beginning was one of those stories that was a little lighter on the romance but had a lot of story and character development to deliver the message.  

Cassie is one of the most enjoyable characters I have seen in a book in my recent reading list.  I love her willingness to do what she needs to do to take care of herself and her spoiled, ungrateful mother.  Cassie was raised with everything and never had to do anything for herself, but she still wanted to prove to herself and others that she is capable of adapting to her new life.  I admired that about her and I was inspired by that.  The connection between Cassie and Jacob, who was not the easiest character to get to know, was a natural connection and I could feel how they cared for each other. 

Life involves a lot of changes, some bigger than others, and we need to be ready to recognize opportunities to prove ourselves.  I enjoyed the message of this book and I enjoyed the characters, most of them anyway.  I liked the characters I was supposed to like and I found a nice ending to series I loved.    





This book was provided for review by Revell.

1 comment:

Ann Shorey said...

Thank you for your review of Love's Sweet Beginning, Carly! So glad you enjoyed getting to know Cassie. I loved writing her story!